In 1995, the National Center for Assisted Living set aside one week in September as National Assisted Living Week to celebrate residents and staff in this area of care. It begins on Grandparents Day, Sept. 8, and runs the entire week. This year’s theme is “A Spark of Creativity.”
The Fulton Presbyterian Life Enrichment Director and Marketing/Social Services Director are planning a week of fun activities for Assisted Living residents. There will be games, prizes and a party on Sept. 13 at 2 p.m. to celebrate both the AL residents and staff.
There will be prizes handed out daily leading up to the party, which will feature cake, ice cream, punch, balloons and even more prizes.
"We are excited about this AL celebration!" said Tresa Allen, marketing director.
Fulton residents appreciate the homey environment and loving care they receive in the Assisted Living unit.
Here’s a little of what residents have to say about AL:
- “If I couldn’t be at home then this is the place to be.”
- “The people are nice here.”
- “It is private — you can have things private here.”
- “You can have family here just like it is at home.”
- “I love my apartment.”
- “No other senior living community in this area has the two-room apartment and walk-in closet.”
- “You don’t have to share a bathroom.”
- “I have assistance when I need it; when I push my button they are usually right here, and I get bathing assistance.”
- “It’s quiet and peaceful.”
- “The meals are furnished.”
- “It is close to family members.”
- “Things are taken care of so there is no worries.”
- “It is handy to have a lot done for me (medication, meals, etc.). There is a lot of convenience to it.”
- “I like that you have privacy but yet you have help too.”
- "When I have my hearing aids out I know there is someone there in case of an emergency.”
- “I don’t dislike anyone or anything here.”